simple is beautiful
RAMSEY DAILY PHOTO: MONOCHROME ODDSHOTS - " I WAS HERE"
2 ... 2 ...

Sunday, November 9, 2008

MONOCHROME ODDSHOTS - " I WAS HERE"

A couple of weeks ago my monochrome oddshot was of this housing Estate being demolished and how a once familiar site not being there the next day to me was odd. This was the last house to be demolished. I shot it through the metal fence, which is the dark blurred lines you see. As it's a real shot, not tampered with, no need to clone or remove the lines. What you see is what you get. If you enlarge the photo you will see a very poignant message on what would have been a bedroom wall," I WAS HERE."

The Pondi contained an Estate of houses known as "Commissioners houses. "To UK readers you may be more familiar with the term "Council Houses." I am not sure what the equivalent would be in other parts of the world, or even if this type of housing exists in this form elsewhere. Council Housing is a form of accommodation that is owned by the local Council authority and rented out to tenants on long term lets(lifetime in some people's cases) at a low rental. They are not Private sector rentals. The idea was to abolish the slum landlords and overcrowding and provide the working class or lower income families with affordable habitable accommodation. This enabled people to pay a lower rent with a view to purchasing their own home in subsequent years, then relinquishing the property to new tenants and continuing the cycle to provide a step on the mortgage ladder for all. With the boom and bust nature of the world at the moment, we need more of these, yet none are being built. All I will say before I go into a rant.

I have now discovered a change to the above paragraph. Council housing is now referred to as Social Housing. Thanks to Gerald, HYDE, DP for enlightening me on this fact. Since moving from the UK to the Isle of Man several changes have taken place, like this renaming.

So, who was here then? I wonder just who it was who wrote the very poignant message. Whoever you are, thank you for creating another oddhsot opportunity. I wonder if you captured the image for yourself?

Want to join the weird world of Odd Shots Monday? Then see KATNEY

Want to join the beautiful and creative world of Mononchorome Monday? Then see Aileni at LOOSE ENDS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LABEL