simple is beautiful
RAMSEY DAILY PHOTO: GINNIE THE WITCH - CRITTERS SUNDAY
2 ... 2 ...

Saturday, November 1, 2008

GINNIE THE WITCH - CRITTERS SUNDAY

Following on from "Hop Ta Naa" the Isle of Man celebration that is now intermingled with Halloween I give you "Ginnie The Witch." Alternative spelling of Jinnie can be found too. What do witches have, a black cat of course. This one isn't actually true black if you look closely, but the eyes are true green. Back to Ginnie.

Ginne the witch is the "Manx English" version of the Hop Tu Naa from yesterday. Here's the poem. Well two versions of the poem. Just to be typically Manx, why have one just one version.

Ginnie The Witch

Hop-tu-Naa
My mother's gone away
And she won't be back until the morning
Jinnie the Witch flew over the house
To fetch the stick to lather the mouse
Hop-tu-Naa
My mother's gone away
And she won't be back until the morning
Hop-tu-Naa, Traa-la-laa
Or alonger version

Hop-tu-naa put in a pot
Hop-tu-naa I scolded me throat
Hop-tu-naa I met an old woman
Hop-tu-naa She was baking bonnags
Hop-tu-naa I asked for a bit
Hop-tu-naa she gave me a bit
as big as me big toe
Hop-tu-naa she dipped it in milk
Hop-tu-naa she wrapped it in silk
Hop-tu-naa, Traa la lay
Jinnie the witch is in you house
Give me a penny and I'll chase her out
Hop-tu-naa, Traa la lay
More Manx Madness on Ramsey Daily Photo. The original one. You will always here it here first.

For more wonderful camera critters see MISTY DAWN Camera critters and be sure to leave a nice comment for Misty' s own outstanding posts.

1 comment:

  1. This site belongs to Babooshka Ramsey daily Photo
    http://dailyphotoisleofman.blogspot.com/

    Spadksy is an an illegal copy and you have been reported

    ReplyDelete

LABEL