simple is beautiful
RAMSEY DAILY PHOTO: MY WORLD - TAKE ME DOWN THE SULBY RIVER
2 ... 2 ...

Monday, November 17, 2008

MY WORLD - TAKE ME DOWN THE SULBY RIVER

My world is Ramsey, Isle Of Man


The Sulby River as I have mentioned before is one of those lovely Viking names they left their mark with on the island. I know this upsets a few Manxies (people born on the Isle Of Man) out there, but you know some you of you are viking stock you can't deny it. Anyway the Sulby. It's the largest river in the Isle Of Man. Starting at the hills of Tholt y will, through, Sulby Glen and Village, through deep and shallow, pooling into waterfalls, past Lezayre, Ramsey, into the harbour, and into the Irish sea. It's apparently good for salmon fishing when it's been as wet as this. Well yippe for those fisherman but bad news for me. My walkway down by the riverbanks is under water at the moment. The psot I stood on to take the image is usually not in danger of being swamped under water. Hopefully we can have a few dry days and the riverbanks won't be so swollen.


I mentioned Sulby was a place named by the Viking who firstly invaded, but secondly stayed and integrated. Here is the meaning of Sulby and a few other Isle Of Man Viking Place names.


Ramsey/Rhumsaa - as I have said before is wild garlic river
Laxey/Laxa - wild salmon river
Tynwald/Thingvollr - parliament field/assembly/ meeting place
Foxdale/Foss tal - waterfall glen
Cregneash/Krok-nes - crooked (coastline)
Sulby/Sula- by- farm by cleft fork in a river
Dalby/Dalr-by - dale town
Fleshwick - Flesjar -vik - green grassy, spot creek


Do you recognise any of these place names or similar in your area. If so the Viking were there.


For more my entries click MY WORLD and thank the skywatch gang once again for another inspired idea.

1 comment:

  1. This is an illegal post.
    I own the real blog
    http://dailyphotoisleofman.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LABEL