simple is beautiful
RAMSEY DAILY PHOTO: RULE OF THIRDS - REAL PHOTOGRAPHY TIP
2 ... 2 ...

Friday, November 14, 2008

RULE OF THIRDS - REAL PHOTOGRAPHY TIP



I usually post a black and white after Fiday Skywatch but for a change went with colour but something a little different. Often you hear Photogrpahers/Artists use a phrase called "rule of thirds." We are talking photography rule of thirds, not scuba diving, just to add to the confusion which is something very different indeed.


The rule of thirds is a compositional rule of thumb (mainly used) in photography and a range of other visual arts such as painting and design. What is it though? The rule states that an image can be divided into nine equal parts by two equally-spaced horizontal lines and two equally-spaced vertical lines. Think of the grid you would draw for the game of noughts and crosses. The four points formed by the intersections of these lines can be used to align features in the photograph. Proponents of this technique claim that aligning a photograph with these points creates more tension, energy and interest in the photo than simply centering the feature would. I didn't say I agree, I just said that is the supposed rule.


Rule of thirds in photography is considered by many to make images more aesthetically pleasing and professional-looking. The rule of thirds can be applied by lining up subjects with the guiding lines, placing the horizon on the top or bottom line instead of the center, or allowing linear features in the photograph to flow from section to section.


So the image today adheres strickly to the rules. The horizon is the top third horizontal line, not the centre. The swallow( yep that bird is a swallow) is on the lower third horizontal line. The swallow is also in centre of the middle section of the two veritcal lines.


Personally to me rule of thirds should be used as a guideline and not the norm. I chose the most basic image I had to demonstrate the thirds rule, and the horizon is the most quoted for it's use.
Take a look at my photography and you will note the times I subscribe to the rule, mainly sunsets, otherwise no I don't. Why? I would take photographs that would bore me and if I'm bored buyers are bored. Get your technique right but think for yourselves, be creative. This image, for demonstration purposes only, was taken on the beach Ramsey, looking across to England, which is the hazy land mass you see.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LABEL