simple is beautiful
RAMSEY DAILY PHOTO: RAMSEY HARBOUR DAWNING DELIGHT
2 ... 2 ...

Monday, September 1, 2008

RAMSEY HARBOUR DAWNING DELIGHT

Oh dear, that title! Looks more like an Abc Wednesday than a toned down Tuesday. I am having a clear out of images at the moment. There gets to a stage where you have to take stock and rethink the image library. Is it selling, have I put it for sale, can it be used on a project or campaign etc. The main question is why haven't I used it. Sometimes I simply forget and file away say 100 sunsets for a rainy day on a disc just as back up. Mostly though they are gathering virtual dust because they aren't right.

This is one such image. I have better versions of it that are in the sales market. So why this would be no use for me? The horizon isn't straight, it dips slightly on the right. The sun has too much of a white glare. The top corner edges are a little pink, not in keeping with the golden tones. The boats are neither silhouetted or showing enough detail, sought of caught in the middle. Overall it's a "nice" snapshot, but it's not viable for sale. Not for me anyway. I could use software to alter it but you would lose on one hand to gain on another and the image isn't worth it. It would still be not quite right.

So what to do with it? Well I found a use for it here. Purely an exercise in being brutal with your images if you are considering trying your hand at selling them. As this blog is primarily about Ramsey I am happy can make blog use of it here. It shows another view of Ramsey Harbour from an alternative area, at a different time of day. In essence, what the daily photo is all about. A snapshot of the area I live, titled in the blog.

So normally this image would be dumped, but it has escaped the axe as it's probably more in keeping with the nature of the blog than most images I've shown. Should I show more snapshots, or should I show finer work? My best never go on here anyway. It isn't a photography blog, but it is hard to pull back and not show images that I am 100% happy with.

So I put the question to you. Should I show more that I wouldn't sell and tell you what's wrong with them, as photographic tips or show the finer more creative work?

Apologises for answering no emails today. The internet has been a nightmare. My poor partner has had an ordeal with his own artwork uploads and I have crashed most sites.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LABEL