simple is beautiful
RAMSEY DAILY PHOTO: RAMSEY HARBOUR,THE JANE OIL TANKER
2 ... 2 ...

Friday, July 25, 2008

RAMSEY HARBOUR,THE JANE OIL TANKER

Whilst undertaking further research about Ramsey Harbour and it's past I happened upon many a quirky tale. One, I am really hoping to post sometime, but I want to separate the myth, legend and fact. History remember isn't always what actually happened but who committed it to paper.

Ramsey Harbour still is a working harbour, though not the grand shipbuilding harbour of yesteryear. I've mentioned previously of The Star Of India known as the Euterpe as the most famous ship built here but not of The Jane.

Mid 19th century Ramsey it seems led the way in shipbuilding. The first ship designed to carry bulk oil, commonly known as an oil tanker was built at this very harbour and name "The Jane." Apparently The Jane transported oil around various places of which the only one I have found named is Philadelphia in 1853. Again I find out a cute little story and find the trail ends abruptly.
No photos or even many write ups about this once famous oil tanker. I put a sepia tint on one of harbour images to again set the tone of the post.

So why the interest to me? The other Jane of Ramsey is the author of this blog. So it must be destiny to continue the blog after all.

Has the trail ever run cold on your town research?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LABEL