simple is beautiful
RAMSEY DAILY PHOTO: HOW SAFE WOULD YOUR WASHING BE?
2 ... 2 ...

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

HOW SAFE WOULD YOUR WASHING BE?

I often write about Ramsey and the Isle of Man in general being a different way of life, a step back in time. I've looked for images that are universal, that reflect this nostalgic image without being overtly sentimental. This is the kind of scene I wanted to depict.

Behind the harbour docks are a series of alleys with rows of terraced houses. No cars or bikes cluttering the roads, nothing to indicate anyone lives along them. Not usually anyway, but this week I was fortunate to spot signs of life. It may not have any locals, but it's definitely their washing hanging out to dry.

You may need to enlarge the image to see it properly, but just behind the plant pot is washing hanging out to dry. I would say it's hanging on something called, from my part of the world, a "clothes horse." It's also refered to as a "maiden " in certain parts of the UK. What would you call it in your part of the world? To me it's something I have never witnessed in my lifetime until I moved to the island, but recall from old '60's British black and white films, which I love. Washing hanging out to dry, in a public area that wil not be stolen. Now how much of a step back in time is that?

Do you ever come across washing left to dry in a public area, a back alley say? Do you do this yourself? Is this image a sign of past times? Like to hear your thoughts again on this one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LABEL